SACRAMENT OF CONFIRMATION
While it is the responsibility of the Pastor and the Parish to provide education/formation opportunities for religious education and sacrament preparation, it remains the right, privilege and sacred responsibility of parents to see to the Catholic upbringing of their children. This was solemnly promised at baptism: “You have asked to have your child baptized. In doing so, you are accepting the responsibility of training them in the practice of the faith. It will be your duty to bring them up to keep God’s commandments as Christ taught us by loving God and neighbor. Do you clearly understand what you are undertaking.” The Pastor and the Parish provide parents ample opportunity to fulfill this requirement through the Catholic School and other religious education programs.
- Infant/toddler baptism = the family must contact the parish office prior to making personal arrangements. A class for parents and Sponsors is required.
- First Holy Communion class will continue as it has been done for the last few years for baptized children in the 3rd grade only. Register at the Catechism office in the Community Center.
- All children who were baptized as infants and toddlers are to register for the regular CCD program beginning with kindergarten. Register at the Catechism office in the Community Center.
- The Youth Confirmation Program will be for baptized only– youth from 8th to 12 grade. Parents will be required to attend the 12:30pm – 2:00pm once per month beginning in September. A Mandatory registration meeting for parents and students will be held on Sunday, September 8, 2019 at 12:30 pm in the St. Teresa School Cafeteria.
- 8 to 12 year old children that have NOT been baptized will register in RCIC in the Catechism office in the Community Center.
- Adult Confirmation will be offered only for those who are baptized and over high school age of 17 years old. This is principally for those who have received First Holy Communion as well but will consider adults in this category that have not yet received First Holy Communion. This begins in February of 2020.
- The Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults (RCIA) is only for those over the age of 17 who seek Baptism in the Roman Catholic Faith. The only exception are any non-baptized children that are in families with non-baptized adults who are in the RCIA program. (RCIA is not for Adult Confirmation or adult First Holy Communion)
- The RCIA program has no way to accommodate childcare for infants and toddlers.
- Any who do not fall in any of these options will be considered on a case-by-case basis and placed in the appropriate program with final approval from the Pastor.
- The co-habitation of Catholics and/or civil marriages only (JP not the Church) is against the teaching, practice and morality of the Catholic Church. While no one in these circumstances are eligible to be sponsors, the children of these situations are welcome and encouraged to participate in the preparation programs, CCD and/or enroll in the Catholic School.
- All CCD registration & candidates for First Holy Communion and Confirmation,
must: Provide a valid copy of their baptismal certificate. The full address of the parish of baptism must be attached to the certificate.
We continue to have considerable trouble with the ineligibility of Sponsors for Baptism and Confirmation. Frequently and unfortunately, there is intentional deception as to the qualifications. Please understand that there is no dispensation nor any exceptions to this requirement and in good conscience, we must follow the discipline of the Church.
Sponsors must be:
- Baptized Catholics that have received First Holy Communion and the Sacrament of Confirmation.
- Active members of the Catholic Community attending Sunday and Holy Day Mass.
- Couples living together without a valid Catholic Marriage are not eligible to be Sponsors.
- Couples not married by the Church are not eligible to be Sponsors.
- The parents of the person to be baptized or receive Confirmation cannot be the Sponsors.
- Sponsors must be a minimum of 16 years old.